puroresu.com puroresu.com

Web   puroresu.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tokyo Dome CARD 05-02-03

Stu at SSS reports the following matches:

1. Ryoto Machida vs. Kengo in a Vale Tudo Rules Match
    2. Dolgorsuren Sumiyabazar (Blue Wolf's brother) vs. Tsuyoshi Kosaka in a Vale Tudo Rules Match
    3. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Jan Nortje in a Vale Tudo Rules Match
    4. Josh Barnett vs. Jimmy Ambriz in a Vale Tudo Rules Match
    5. Manabu Nakanishi vs. Kazuyuki Fujita in a Vale Tudo Rules Match (WORK???)
    6. Enson Inoue vs. Kazunari Murakami
    7. IWGP Heavyweight Title #1 Contender Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. U-30 winner (Yoshie, Wolf, Tanahashi, Makai #4, Makabe)
    8. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: (c)Koji Kanemoto & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Heat & Tiger Mask 4
    9. GHC Heavyweight Title: (c)Kenta Kobashi vs. Masahiro Chono
    10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Winner of (c)Nagata/Yasuda on 4/23 vs. Yoshihiro Takayama

Note that Takayama defends his NWF title in NOAH against Takeshi Rikio. If he wins (and he will) the Tokyo Dome match will be a DOUBLE GOLD match! (maybe also unification)
    Want good Puroresu Tapes?
    http://www.geocities.com/ludstapes
    Luds :Þ

Ultimate Crush

Final 5/2 press conference held by Stuart
    New Japan held one final press conference for "ULTIMATE CRUSH", it's May 2nd super-show at the Tokyo Dome. Chono and PR man, Kurakake, were the two who presented it, and mainly formalized the Chono vs. Kobashi dream match. Chono said that despite all of his respect for Kobashi, he would crush the GHC Heavyweight Champion. Chono said that the longer the match went, the more it would work in his favour. Don't expect another time limit draw though, as it'll be 60 minutes minimum, and Chono has talked about making it a one fall/infinity time limit match. Chono still isn't sure which match will be up last, but said that Chono vs. Kobashi and Nagata vs. Takayama would be a "double main event"...

Looks like Chono has great confidence in Nagata, as he is predicted he will face Takayama at the Dome.

I have a feeling that Takayama will be a big challenge for Nagata and I'm not so sure he can defeat the NWF Champion.

Also.... Chono v. Kobashi I'm drooling already.
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Kevin Spacey (Usual Suspects)

somewhere in the frozen wasteland of Canada
    Am I the only one who's just a little nervous that Yadusa is gonna beat Nagata so that Takayama will have an easy win for the IWGP title?

I mean...Inoki loves Takayama and Yasuda...what would please him more than seeing them fight in a main event for both his titles?
    I have seen the face of Satan, and his name is Bill Apter.

No Way! Nagata will go over Yasuda easy... And he'll beat Takayama as well.

i may be exposing my ignorance but what is vale tudo rules?
    1-2-3 4 life

Originally posted by j.o.b. squad
    i may be exposing my ignorance but what is vale tudo rules?
    It's an MMA-shoot style match. The complete list of rules can be found on www.ichibanpuroresu.com.

thanks had a fealling it was something like that
    1-2-3 4 life

Yasuda if awful to watch. Hopefully Nagata goes over him to have the rematch with Takayama of last years match which was pretty good.

Can't see Chono doing the job either.

The only decent match that Yasuda was in was his IWGP Heavyweight title defence against Tenzan last year, which was pretty good actually...

And Chono and Kobashi will be a tie

What Happened?

After hating this Dome for weeks,im kinda looking froward to it.

It has alot of weird things going on and im actually gonna buy it= on tape in a week.

Iizuka has got to be able to carry Shamrock to a decent match.
    Ambriz and Barnett has got to be interesting.
    Kobashi v. Chono in a singles rocks
    JR Tag could be second best match on show for sure.
    Tenzan- Tanahashi might be good
    I wish Giant Baba was my Grandpa, then id have a reason to feel so ANGRY......

They announced the card order yesterday...

1. IWGP Heavyweight Title #1 Contender: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan
    2. Takashi Iizuka vs. Ken Shamrock
    3. IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Tiger Mask, Heat vs. Jushin Thunder Liger, Koji Kanemoto
    4. Vale Tudo: LYOTO (Machida) vs. KENGO
    5. Vale Tudo: Dolgorsuren Sumiyabazar vs. Tsuyoshi Kosaka
    6. Vale Tudo: Jimmy Ambriz vs. Josh Barnett
    7. Vale Tudo: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Jan Nortje
    8. Vale Tudo: Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Manabu Nakanishi
    9. Enson Inoue vs. Kazunari Murakami
    10. GHC Heavyweight Title: Masahiro Chono vs. Kenta Kobashi
    11. IWGP and NWF Heavyweight Title: Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Yuji Nagata

Scout and I will probably do a preview this weekend. Some of these matches are tough to call.
    Last edited by Brandon; 2003-04-24 at 11:21 PM.
    http://www.ichibanpuroresu.com/

Originally posted by Luds
    [Nagata will] beat Takayama.
    I'm not so sure about that one. I love Nagata and I think he's a great Champion. I think he got his v10 defense in because Takayama will reign supreme at the Dome. In any event I can't wait to get the tape when it comes out. Here is some more news regarding the Crush & misc.

Lots of news by Stuart - 04/25/03
    - During a round-table meeting involving Fumihiko Uei, President Fujinami, and fans yesterday, some interesting things were discussed. It turns out that the plan is to create a regular vale tudo presence in New Japan after "ULTIMATE CRUSH", which everyone expected. Uei said that the champions of "ULTIMATE CRUSH" (the winners of the VT fight sector) would go on to confront PRIDE's champions in an ultimate summit of fighting. Uei said that vale tudo fights would take place periodically in New Japan, because many wrestlers, including Blue Wolf, have expressed interest in doing them. Fujinami showed a positive posture to the possibility of a New Japan vs. PRIDE dream confrontation, and said that while 5/2 will be a new starting point for New Japan, the opinion of the fans would help construct future lineups. Fujinami did bow his head several times though, as if reluctantly supporting this. With Inoki now an even higher figure in PRIDE than before, New Japan has a stronger chance of having access to their top stars than ever.

MORE: Fujinami said New Japan would consider creating a vale tudo title belt if necessary. Makai #4 (Shibata), Naruse, and Tiger Mask are three others, in addition to Blue Wolf, who have offered to do vale tudo fights. Uei asked the eleven fans sat around the tables to raise their hand in reply to vote topics.
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Kevin Spacey (Usual Suspects)

Well, Nagata/Takayama is title-for-title now, and I don't think Inoki is gonna give Nagata BOTH belts after a year-long title reign. On the other hand, he LOVES Takayama, and would be so proud to see him:

a) avenge his loss to Nagata from last year
    b) unify both of 'Inoki's' titles (IWGP and NWF)
    c) be the man to finally end Nagata's lengthy reign

Personally, I love both guys. Nagata is obviously the more talented grappler, but Takayama has that great AJPW-style charisma. It would be cool to see Nagata win both belts, but I would sort of prefer to see what Takayama could do for a change.

Chono-Kobashi match now in doubt

Chono was injured (torn ligaments in knee) in today's match attempting a Yakuza kick. Unfortunately the injury is legit. Here I was thinking that this dream match depended on Kobashi's bad knees and health, and then Mr. Dependable Chono goes and gets hurt. Very unfortunate. Chono is a firece warrior, so it wouldn't surprise me if he went through with the match, but the quality of this epic confrontation is going to be damaged much like Chono's deadly kicks. They could work the angle that the injury took away a major weapon in the match for Chono and use working his knees for psychology, but it would not be worth it if Chono further damaged his knee and/or career. Man, I was so looking forward to this.
    Last edited by GlobalHonored; 2003-04-26 at 05:51 PM.

Chono injured

At New Japan's 4/26 show in Beppu Beacon Plaza, Masahiro Chono twisted his knee badly throwing a Yakuza kick in a singles match with Shinya Makabe. The match was the main event, ending on a countout with Chono having to roll out of the ring, losing to Makabe.

It's expected that Chono has torn a ligament in his left knee and will need surgery. Chono will not wrestle on the remaining three shows on the "Strong Energy 2003" tour. Chono and Hiroyoshi Tenzan are scheduled to defend their IWGP Tag Team Title against Yutaka Yoshie and Hiroshi Tanahashi on 4/28 in Hakata Star Lane. So it appears that that match is off. And this leaves some serious questions as to whether or not his scheduled 5/2 Tokyo Dome with Kenta Kobashi will take place.
    http://www.ichibanpuroresu.com/